It is no secret that all dogs like barking - it is their way of communicating. The only difference is that some dogs bark for a good reason, while others for apparently no reason at all. It is also a well-established fact that certain dog breeds are more prone to barking than others.
Since barking is natural, the barking itself is not the problem. The problem is making your dog quiet at certain times or when commanded. You can make your dog stop barking by gently closing its mouth, asking it to bring you something, creating distractions, training it to bark on command and using bark collars.Bark collars are relatively new but an efficient weapon in the anti-bark battle. With so many different types and brands of bark collars, choosing the Best bark collar can be challenging. To help you make the right decision, we wrote this short bark collar buying guide and reviewed the 5 Best Bark Collars.
Top 5 Best Bark Collars Reviewed
Price on Amazon
What To Look for & Benefits of bark collars
What to look for in an anti-bark dog collar
Bark collars are specifically designed to automatically set off an interrupter when the dog starts barking. Their purpose is to negatively reinforce the barking behavior.
If purchasing a sonic bark collar, you need to look for a model with adjustable sizing. You also need to look for a model that emits sound inaudible for humans.
If purchasing a spraying collar you need to look for a model that sprays harmless, all-natural and hypoallergenic spray.
If purchasing a static collar you need to look for a model with adjustable size and adjustable intensity of the correction stimuli. There are also static collars that transmit a short beeping sound for alarming the dog prior to correcting it. It is always advisable to choose a waterproof static bark collar.
How to choose the best dog bark collar
When choosing the best dog bark collar, you need to take into consideration several collar related factors such as:
- Size –this is important because the intensity of the collar’s deterrent depends on the collar’s size. If the collar is too big, chances are the stimulus will be too intense.
- Material –it is important that the collar is made of a material that is comfortable to wear.
- Type of collar – depending on the technology used, there are three types of bark collars. Those are static, sonic and spray collars.
- Style –the style of the collar should suit your dog’s body shape and personality.
You also need to consider some dog-related factors like:
- Temperament –the collar’s style should fit your dog’s personality.
- Allergies –some dogs can be allergic to certain materials. Make sure your dog can tolerate the material you choose.
In the end, you need to consider some factors that are directly related to you:
- Personal taste –you need to like the collar you are purchasing. Your dog will be wearing it for a relatively long period so make sure you choose something that pleases your eyes.
Tips on how to use a bark collar
The exact instructions and tips for using bark collars are provided with the collar itself. Nevertheless, there are some general rules and guidelines.
First of all, you need to properly introduce your dog to its new bark collar and test how the collar works in controlled environment.
Secondly, leaving a group of dogs while one or several of them are wearing bark collars, unsupervised, is not recommended. Even the best bark collars are still devices and can easily malfunction. In addition, even well-behaved dogs can overreact and act weird if they experience extreme reaction to the stimulus provided by the collar.Last but not least, it is important to mention that the bark collar should be used only during the training period. Once the training is finished the collar goes off. However, some dogs require retraining.
Types of Bark Collars
Depending on the type of correction method they use there are three different types of bark collars – barking collars that use spray, barking collars that use tone and barking collars that use stimulation.
Depending on the type of bark collar control there are two different types – automatic and handled. Although their applications differ, they are both equally effective.
- Automatic Dog Bark Collars–are good for correcting the dog when the owner is not around.
- Bark Collars With Remotes – can be controlled by the owner via a remote.
- Shock / Pulse Collars – deliver electrical shocks or pulses of different intensity and duration.
- Vibration Bark Collars – use vibrations with different intensity.
- Citronella Bark Collars – when the dog barks, the collar emits a safe but unpleasant citronella smell in front of the dog’s face.
Bark Collar Reviews
Instead direct punishment, the collar’s system avoids over-correction by getting your dog’s attention and interrupting its barking pattern. The collar uses both sound and vibration to get the dog’s attention. It also features an automatic safety shut-off.
The SportDOG 10R Rechargeable Bark Collar can be adjusted to work in three differently intense strict modes. Those modes include Temperament Learning, Progressing Correction and User-Selected Correction. The different modes enable modifying the training regime.
All in all, the above mentioned technology provides efficient and fair but firm and consistent bark control.
- Advanced technology
- Made of high-quality materials
- Waterproof design
- Features rechargeable battery
- Adjustable sizing.
- Not suitable for dogs weighing less than 8 pounds or with neck sizes below 6 inches
- Not very pleasing design
- Expensive model
- Frequent complaints about the guarantee policy.
The Dogtra YS300 Dog Collar features a special system that emits a non-electrical vibration warning prior to the actual correcting stimuli. The collar is powered by rechargeable Lithium Polymer batteries that can fully recharge in only 2 hours. The collar has a LED indicator light that shows the battery life.The collar is fully waterproof but not submersible.
- Features special sound sensors
- 7 different intensity levels
- Features vibration warning system
- Water-resistant model
- Affordable price
- The collar is too weak for giant dog breeds
- The overall design is too basic and not very appealing
- The rechargeable batteries are expensive
The system can sustain training up to 6 dogs on 1 PRO 70 handheld or 3 dogs on 1 PRO 550 handheld. The system has 1 mile range with 27MHz.
The Garmin PT10 Collar is powered by one Lithium ion battery. The system comes with one year warranty.
- Features built-in Bark Limiter
- Waterproof design
- Made of high-quality materials
- Remote control of the beacon lights
- Affordable price
- One year warranty
- Simple and not very appealing design
- Specifically designed for small dogs
- Features a combination of deterring technologies
- Has special increasing shock intensity technology with 10 levels
- Available in a variety of different colors.
- Among the most expensive collars on the market
- Expensive and non-rechargeable batteries.
By frequently changing the fragrance, the efficiency of the collar can be significantly prolonged.The PetSafe Gentle Spray Bark Collar is powered on a long-lasting and non-rechargeable but affordable battery.
- Gentle training option
- The spray canister can be refilled
- Differently scented spray fragrances
- Affordable price.
- Not universally effective
- Not very appealing design
- Not waterproof model
- Not suitable for dogs under 6 pounds
- The citronella scent affects the general household’s smell.
The most important step to addressing excessive barking issues is identifying the cause. Dogs usually bark due to territorial reasons. Some dogs use barking as an attention-seeking and learned behavior. When these dogs start barking, the owner gives treats or attention in order to calm them down, thus accidentally reinforcing and rewarding the barking behavior. Other dogs bark when bored or when feeling alone. Therefore determining the right barking trigger is important for solving the problem.
In recent years, the popularity of bark collars as anti-barking training method has significantly increased. Bark collars help successfully manage and resolve nuisance and excessive barking. They are particularly useful for situations where the owner is either not present or unable to otherwise correct the barking behavior.
Keep in mind that different dogs respond to barking collars in a different manner. The time it takes for dogs to unlearn their nuisance barking behavior varies. Some dogs are fast learners and some are tenacious and like sticking to their old habits. It is also important to understand that just using the collar is not enough. You also need to be consistent, patient and reinforce your dog’s positive behavior.