Having a German Shepherd around lends a merrier and more secure environment for your entire family. If you have one at home, you probably realized by now that your canine buddy is willing to face any danger just to protect his precious humans. You also know by now that the same fearless canine can melt easily into a jiggly pile of face-licking love!
Hence, the endowment of love and protection from your German Shepherd should be enough to treat him as family. Well, you wouldn’t let family members sleep on the carpet, would you? Your furry family member needs a high-quality dog bed, too! With a nice comfy bed to sleep on, your furry guardian will wake up feeling like a ball of fire so he can perform his best.
So, for your convenience, we narrowed down 10 of the best dog beds for German Shepherds. We invested time and effort checking features and reading up customer reviews, so you can skip the guesswork. We also broke down the advantages and disadvantages of each product, so you can easily identify the differences between them.
If this is going to be your first purchase, we highly suggest that you read our buyer’s guideline right below before you reveal our Top 10!
Top 5 Best Dog Beds for German Shepherds
Price on Amazon
Best Rated Dog Bed For German Shepherds
1. Big Barker 7” Orthopedic Dog Bed, Headrest Edition
Moreover, this dog bed is proudly made in the USA. This product is CertiPur Certified, which means it is free of flame retardants, heavy metals, and other toxins. Big Barker promises that this bed will retain 90% of its original shape even after 10 years of wear and tear. The manufacturer is so confident of their product that they are offering to give your money back if proven otherwise.
The built-in headrest is no gimmick! Big Barker’s Headrest Edition is designed perfectly with dogs in mind. Your canine buddy will also love how the bed feels velvety soft. Since you can’t toss an entire mattress into a washing machine, its manufacturer made sure the cover is a breeze to remove and clean.
- highlights a 7-inch thick high-density foam construction
- includes a 2-inch medical-grade memory foam for orthopedic support
- features open cell technology for continuous airflow
- CertiPUR Certified
- luxurious microfiber cover can withstand biting, digging, etc.
- bed cover is machine washable
- includes built-in headrest
- offers 10 years warranty
- up to 4 colors and 3 sizes to choose from
- made in the USA
- Among the most expensive options
2. The Dog’s Bed by The Dog’s Balls
- highlights a 6-inch thick high-density foam construction
- includes a 2-inch medical-grade memory foam for orthopedic support
- hypoallergenic faux fur and plush suede fabric
- has a water-resistant liner
- replacement covers are available
- offers multiple color and size selections
- not waterproof as advertised
- closed-cell memory foam tends to heat up during summer
3. BarksBar Grey Orthopedic Dog Bed
- highlights a human-grade orthopedic foam construction
- grooved orthopedic foam for improved ventilation
- features cotton padded walls
- ultra soft polyester cover with a luxurious quilted design
- the cover is removable and machine washable
- straightforward to spot clean
- non-skid rubber backing prevents any sliding
- not great for major shredders
- dogs won’t be able to stretch out
- only available in grey
4. FurHaven Microvelvet Luxe Lounger Orthopedic Dog Bed
- highlights a medical-grade orthopedic foam base and a plush, quilted sleeping surface
- raised sides for head and neck support
- low-profile design allows senior or arthritic dogs to climb in and out easily
- low VOC emissions for indoor air quality
- the poly-canvas underside is water-resistant
- the cover is easy to remove and machine washable
- available in multiple sizes and colors
- not recommended for chewers and diggers
- won’t hold its shape after some time
5. Friends Forever Premium Orthopedic Dog Bed
- a well-constructed dog bed with a comfy bolster
- seams are sewn well and the zippers are good quality
- has a low, open profile for accessibility
- features a 100% suede cover
- hair doesn't embed into the fabric
- waterproof and does not stain
- all covers are removable and machine washable
- dander and pet hair comes off easily with a vacuum cleaner
- some reviewers complained that the bed gives off an unusual smell
- bottom fabric needs improvement
What to Look for in a Dog Bed For Your German Shepherd
Your dog’s bed should be large enough that he can circle around or spread his legs across the bed whenever he wishes. You can get a large or extra large dog bed depending on the size of your German Shepherd.
What your dog needs is a bed made with thick, high-density foam. Otherwise, it won’t be able to carry the brunt of a German Shepherd and may lose its form after a year or two. Likewise, the dog bed should be able to withstand your dog’s mindless chewing, scratching, and digging.
High-quality dog beds are a rare find if you stray in the cheaper end of the spectrum. But if you don’t want to buy a dog bed at frequent intervals, then you must be willing to shell out a little more cash for one sturdy dog bed that can last for a decade.
Choose a hypoallergenic dog bed made with natural fibers. If you are willing to dig deeper into your pockets, opt for an organic dog bed.
Shy away from dog beds that are treated with flame retardant chemicals and other potential toxins including boric acid, formaldehyde, and polybrominated diphenyl ethers. Exposing your dog to these chemicals can lead to allergies and respiratory illnesses. Hence, make sure your dog’s bed is free of toxic materials.
Take note: a dog bed made with synthetic materials can also cause allergies, hot spots, and other skin problems since it easily warms up and creates a moist environment.
Large breeds such as the German Shepherd are at a higher risk for developing arthritis and hip/elbow dysplasia. In fact, eight out of 10 large dogs suffer osteoarthritis during their adult to senior years.
Fortunately, an orthopedic dog bed can help prevent this, as well as ease the pain and discomfort suffered by an elderly dog. An orthopedic bed supports your dog’s weight and conforms to his body shape. Hence, the pressure is distributed equally throughout the body instead of getting pushed against the joints.
Water resistance is a very important feature in dog beds for it adds to the durability of the product. If your dog’s bed can repel fluids, you won’t have to worry about doggie drool and accidental wee-wee seeping through the foam, which could deteriorate it and cause acrid smells due to bacteria and mold buildup. Water resistance is also your best ally against rotting hardwood floors.
Your dog will thank you if you provide him a bed featuring a non-skid bottom. A non-skid bottom adds stability to your dog’s bed and hence, it won’t rock or slip every time your large German Shepherd jerks around while he sleeps. Rest assured
Ease of Cleaning
Washing your dog’s bed on a regular basis is a necessity to eliminate bacterial load, dirt, and parasites that could lead to several health issues. But since you can’t load an entire mattress into a washing machine, be sure that the covers are at least removable, machine-washable, and quick to dry.
Benefits of Getting A Bed For Your German Shepherd
Maintains Cleanliness in Your Home
If your dog has no bed of his own, chances are you will always find pet hair, dander, and funny smells on either your bed or the sofa. Do you really want your dog to fart on your couch for your guests to smell?
A lot of dogs love to circle around, scratch, or burrow like mad before they finally settle on to snooze. Until you introduce your dog to his new bed, you can never blame your dog for the rips and stains you see on the couch.
Your Dog Can Rest Well
We crawl into our beds to recharge so we can spring back again to life the next day. The same goes for our canine companions. Your dog needs to sleep at least 10 hours a day to perform his best. But he can’t do that if there are boisterous children around or when he has to wait until his cat housemate leaves the sofa.
Therefore, give him his own bed so he can have a peaceful retreat away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
As for our top 5, we highly recommend the Big Barker 7” Orthopedic Dog Bed. Although this bed commands a high price, rest assured it is a worthy investment that could last not just a year or two, but at least a decade.
Most importantly, this bed is CertiPur Certified and hence, it gives you the peace of mind knowing that your beloved pet is not inhaling toxic fumes during his sleep.
We really hope that the information we gathered can help you find the best one for your furry family member. Finding the best dog bed is not just a way to spoil your pet but rather an obligation as a fur-parent.
So, invest in a quality dog bed now and help improve the quality of life of your German Shepherd.