Last Updated on
Top 6 Best Dog Car Harnesses Reviewed
Price on Amazon
All of us love nice, long drives and if there’s no traffic on the road to curb your rhythm, then that’s the icing on the cake. Your furry friends are no exception- they revel in long drives too and wait expectantly for the chance to get out and ride with you. The thought of seeing new sights, encountering new smells and being able to test their vocal cords to the limit is very exciting. Owners love to have their pets with them all the time but riding with even the most obedient dog can be pretty hazardous for both unless your pet is strapped up in the car with a dog car harness.If you have your seat belt on for safety- don’t you think that it is right that your dog, too, is secured the same way? If they are not within the confines of a dog harness, driving could be difficult and dangerous.
Users have found the harness to be ‘dog and human-friendly’ and claim that the padding at the chest is a definite life-saver during accidents on the highway while traveling at moderate speeds. However, the heavy-grade fabric used was found to be rather stiff.
- Leash easily attaches to D ring attachment
- Sturdy, light, easily adjustable and easy to clean
- The one-piece harness is easy to handle, easy to put on and remove
- Reflective strips increase visibility and enhance night- time safety
- Sometimes the stiffness of the fabric makes it difficult to use
- A very trusted brand that has been around for over 30 years
- Has many attachment options and is very easy to use
- Only one style is available
- No reflective strips for night-time visibility
- Lifetime warranty available
- Superior quality materials used and this makes it durable
- Good fit for barrel-chested dogs and large dogs
- No reflective strips to enhance night-time visibility
- Doesn’t double up as a walking harness
- Short-bodied dogs may find it uncomfortable
- Only available in black
You even have the option of choosing either the back or front leash attachment, depending on your immediate needs and convenience. The presence of reflective strips makes your dog easier to locate, in case it strays too far from home.
A user claims that this harness saved the life of his dog in a sudden crash. In spite of the impact the dog remained harnessed and was not thrown out or hurt. Else, it could have led to the heart-ache of losing a loved pooch.
- Easy to maintain and clean as dirt and grime wash off easily
- Lightweight padding ensures that the harness is easy to use and comfortable
- Provides security and safety for your dog
- Available only in a single color-black
- No mention of whether it has undergone any crash-tests
- The harness is multi-functional
- Optional leash attachment points
- Highly affordable and available in many colors
- Can be machine-washed and air-dried
- Possibility of dogs getting entangled in the seat-belt tether
- Minimum restriction heightens the risk of dogs being pushed either sideways or off the seat
- Crash-testing worked only for 45lbs
- No reflective strips
- This harness can be used in many standard cars
- It is easy to use
- Nylon straps are adjustable
- Unsuitable for some dog breeds as far as size goes
Benefits of A Good Dog Car Harness
Apart from the apparent aspect of safety, dog harnesses have many benefits. Let’s take a look at some of them before learning what to look for before buying one.
Gives owners greater control and Increased Safety
Regardless of the size of the dog, owners can restrain their pets better with a car harness. This becomes more pertinent in case of an accident. It prevents your pet from being thrown out of the car. The impact during an accident can throw your pet dog through the windshield even at a slower speed. It also prevents collision with other people in the car that can cause injury either to the dog or to humans.
Harnesses Prevents injuries
The natural tendency of dogs is to pull on the leash that’s attached to their collar. This tends to depress the wind-pipe. Depressed wind-pipes can cause the trachea to collapse. Sometimes such pressure causes the dog’s eyeballs to protrude from the sockets. A dog harness de-stresses the neck area and eliminates injury-like conditions.
That said, a car harness needs to fit the dog’s body and suit its personality. Here’s what to look for in a dog harness-
The harness should be a good fit, sturdy, crash-test certified
Should be made from non-irritable materials, be easy to adjust and comfortable to wear
It should come along with a seat-belt connector
Conclusion on Top Dog Car Harnesses
In conclusion, while dog car seats and crates are comfortable in their own way, they usually fail when it comes to pet safety. That’s something that pet owners would never want to compromise on. That’s why using the top dog car harness makes a lot of sense. When it comes to car safety, Sleepypod ClickIt Sport Crash-Tested Car Safety Dog Harness is easily the best and there are not many out there that can hold a candle to it when pet safety is concerned. Owners have peace of mind and their pets (even if they resent being strapped up) are safe and less prone to diversionary and dangerous antics. It pays to take care of your pooch the smart and safe way!