Last Updated on
8 Best Dog Car Seats Compared
Price on Amazon
We all love to take our dogs wherever we go, and that entails frequent car rides. However, most people don’t understand that their dogs should be properly restrained during a car ride, even a short one!
Driving an unrestrained dog of any size is a risk for a dog and everyone else who is in the vehicle. Luckily, with the best dog car seat, you can ensure that your pooch is safe, comfortable, and protected while on the road.
Generally, any type of restraint will work, but since most dogs don’t take lightly on driving in a crate, a dog booster seat is your best option. These seats are crash-tested and specially designed to give dogs a chance to look through the window, but at the same time remain safe in one place.
But with so many different models, finding the right dog car seat can be a bit difficult. Since your dog’s safety is important for us, we decided to list the top 8 best dog car seats available on the market and help you find the best one for you and your pooch.
The great thing is that you can fold and store this dog booster whenever it’s not in use. The double-sided material is washable and designed to keep your dog warm during the winter and cool in the summer.
- Sturdy and secure
- Large enough for two smaller dogs
- Easy to fold and store
- Elevated Design
- Too high for tall dogs to sit comfortably
- Rear-facing design for extra security
- Comfortable for longer rides
- Keeps dogs safe and in place
- Can be hard to buckle in the car seat
- The elevated design offers a better view
- Spacious for smaller dogs to sit and lie
- Hard sides offer protection
- The strap is secure and well-made
- Hard to put together
- Flimsy padding
- Stable and secure
- Spacious interior
- Allows dogs to watch through the window
- Comfortable for longer trips
- The tether can twist and poses a choking hazard
To ensure that your pooch stays in one place, this seat secures to the seat base and the console lid, and there is a safety strap that keeps dogs inside their seats. The only downside of this model is that it doesn’t fit in all cars, so double-check the measurements to ensure that this seat is the right fit.
- Super soft and washable cover
- Durable and comfortable padding
- Raised back for extra protection and comfort
- Several straps for a snug and secure fit
- Doesn’t fit in all cars
- Comfortable Sherpa lining
- Raised design for a better view
- Washable cover
- Padded interior
- Bulky and takes too much room
- Spacious and comfortable interior
- Safety latches keep dogs in place
- Countered back for extra safety
- Thick cushion for protection
- Doesn’t fit in all cars
- The inside of the seat can’t be cleaned
- Gives dogs a better view
- Durable metal frame
- The lining is easy to clean
- Adjustable straps allow you to raise the seat
- Doesn’t fit in all cars
- Some dogs may jump out of it
What to Look for in a Good Dog Car Seat?
When it comes to buying a dog car seat for your pooch you may be tempted to get the most luxurious model that matches your car’s stylish interior. However, the safety of your dog should always be your number one priority!
Look for the following features to ensure your dog’s safety during car rides:
- Size: Make sure that the seat is spacious enough to support your dog’s length and weight. Since most dog car seats state the maximum weight they can handle, measure your dog before buying a seat.
- Ease of use: There are many different kinds of booster seats and you will have to look for one that is suitable to use in your car and also safe for your dog. If your pooch goes on frequent car trips check the seat and see how hard it is to install and remove it, and if it stores easily.
- Maintenance: Most dogs know how to get dirty in a matter of seconds. Thus, you should look for a dog car seat that is made from a material that is easy to clean or, ideally, machine washable.
- Protection: The point of a pet car seat is to keep your pooch protected in the event of a crash, thus the booster has to have sufficient padding. Most seats use thick foam to absorb the shock from accidents and you should pick a model that has at least two inches of padding.
Benefits of Using a Pet Dog Car Seat
Besides the obvious, keeping your dog safe during a car ride, using a booster seat has several other benefits. Let’s take a look at a few:
- A dog car seat keeps a dog secure, and if an accident happens your pooch will stay safe and in place
- Booster car seats keep dogs more comfortable during a cat ride
- Having your dog in a car seat can help combat motion sickness
- Dog cars seats give smaller dogs a chance to look through the window and have a more enjoyable ride
- When confined in a dog seat, your dog won’t be able to make a mess and leave dirt all over your car
Most dogs love to go on car rides, and will eagerly wait to jump on the front seat even for a short ride around the block. And while most people understand the importance of seat belts and kid’s car seats, many dog owners don’t know that dogs should be properly restrained during a car ride.
But just like you put the seat belt on every time you go for a ride, your pooch has to be buckled properly for safety reasons. And since there are so many different models of dog car seats on the market, finding the one that fits in your car and keeps your dog properly secure can be difficult.
Luckily, the A4Pet Lookout Dog Booster Car Seat is there to save the day and keep your dog comfortable and secure during a car ride. This car seat is a clear winner since it comes in two sizes, two seat belt loops, and a security leash for a secure and comfortable ride.
Its elevated design will give your pooch a chance to look out through the window, and it is completely foldable and easy to store. Invest in a dog car seat today to have safe and care-free rides right away!