Exercise is important to a dog. Dogs love to walk, run and explore the outdoors. However, sometimes the journey that one has to undertake might be too strenuous for your furry little friend’s tiny legs. This, however, is no excuse to leave your dog behind when going on exciting trips and hikes. Get one the best dog carrier backpacks available today and see just how much fun the two of you are going to have.
Dog backpacks are most appropriate for the smaller dog breeds. These pet carriers are built around the same mechanism that mothers use to carry infants on their backs. Minor design modifications are made to make the backpack comfortable for the dog and the one carrying the dog.
Dog backpacks come in a myriad of sizes, shapes, and designs. Your choice of a backpack should, therefore, be guided by your needs as well as the physical build of your dog. It is indeed crucial that before making a purchase, you know full well how you intend to use the carrier backpack and how big your dog really is.
It is fun to have your best friend with you when going out on adventures. Your dog will undeniably love your company. This is why we’ve brought you some of the best dog carrier backpacks available in today’s consumer market.
Top 7 Dog Carrier Backpacks
Price on Amazon
Best Dog Backpacks
1. Petsfit Comfort Dogs Carriers/Backpack
- It is a large bag with adequate ventilation.
- There’s plenty of room inside to ensure that your pup won’t have to squeeze into the bag.
- The design of the backpack makes it a comfortable carrier backpack for your dog.
- The inside hook will hold your pooch in place and stop him from wandering out of the bag.
- The additional straps for the carrier’s chest and waist secure the backpack and prevent it from falling off the carrier’s back
- Carrying the backpack is easy and comfortable since the straps are padded
- The backpack has no extra pockets
- Carrying the backpack is exclusively limited to the back since it has no extra handles or straps
- The design is quite stylish. It makes the dog being carried look cute and adorable. Overall the backpack is a real eye-catcher
- The wide shoulder straps make it easy and comfortable to carry the backpack
- The backpack is made of durable material and is quite sturdy
- It has hook closures and a self-fastening loop to enhance safety when carrying your pooch
- It is quite affordable
- It’s made from cotton canvas which your dog will find to be very comfortable
- It might look somewhat awkward for large dogs
- Very large dogs might not fit in the bag
- The mesh window offers unbeatable visibility for your pup
- An extra half mesh has been installed to offer extra ventilation
- A sturdy waist strap provides added safety
- The padded shoulder straps make it comfortable and easy to carry your pet in the backpack
- There’s a soft, removable fleece mat that is easy to clean
- A leash on the inside of the bag holds the dog in place so that he won’t escape
- The extra pockets can be used to carry extra dog supplies
- It’s not a backpack for large dogs
- Most airlines approve this carrier either as a backpack or handle carrier
- Cleaning and storage are easy
- It is a luxury carrier that’s hip and stylish
- It has breathable mesh panels that offer enhanced ventilation
- The shoulder straps are adjustable and padded thereby making it easy and comfortable to carry as a backpack
- The carry handle is sturdy and heavy duty
- Your dog will love the cozy, padded interior
- The carrier only comes in two sizes and may not be ideal for large dogs
- The carrier doesn’t offer any extra restraints to prevent the dog from escaping in case the bag gets opened accidentally
- It is excellent for small to medium-sized pups
- The mesh on the sides confer extra ventilation and cooling for your pooch
- It has an extra pocket for storing dog treats and other supplies
- An internal safety harness clips to the dog collar to stop the dog from escaping
- The padded shoulder straps make it easy and comfortable to carry the backpack
- This pet carrier is lightweight
- A drawstring at the top of the backpack can be adjusted to stop very small dogs or puppies from jumping out
- It isn’t ideal for huge dogs since they are unlikely to fit in the backpack comfortably
6. Mogoko Pet Dog Portable Airline Travel Approved Carrier Backpack
- The EPE foam padding makes the bag very comfortable for your dog
- The straps are padded and have a buckle to make them extensible and comfortable. This contributes to significant backpack stability
- In addition to being a great carrier for the outdoors, it’s airline-approved and thus ideal for air travel.
- It is excellent for small and medium-sized pups
- The waistband design of the backpack reduces the pressure on the carrier’s shoulders and makes the backpack more stable
- Some large dogs might not fit, and other dogs might find the backpack to be rather uncomfortable
- Pet security and safety are guaranteed since the backpack is escape proof
- An inside hook is present to prevent the dog from getting out of the carrier
- It is airline approved and safe for air travel
- It has extra pockets for treats and other dog supplies
- The shoulder straps are adjustable and thickly padded to increase the stability of the carrier and to offer comfort to the person carrying it
- It is not ideal for aggressive or anxious dogs since it’s easy for a pet to chew or claw through the material.
- Very large dogs might not fit in the carrier
Benefits of A Good Dog Carrier Backpack
The dog carrier backpack is an incredible invention especially for dog owners who are outdoor enthusiasts. Although in some places carrying your pet in a backpack might still appear unconventional, pet carrier backpacks are valuable in the following ways.
Your dog becomes your travel companion
Numerous dogs are left locked up all alone at home when their humans have to travel. However, this does not have to be the case for your pup. Simply put that amazing pooch in a backpack and no matter where the day takes you, the two of you will always be together.
Backpacks offer enhanced safety for your dog
This is particularly so for small dogs. It is possible for a small dog to get lost, stepped on or even ran over in crowded places and streets. A backpack carrier is all you need to keep him safe in such situations.
Dog carrier backpacks make traveling more convenient
When you bring your dog for a hike, you most certainly will also have to bring some extra dog supplies with you. A backpack carrier will make carrying all those things easier. Dog carrier backpacks also leave your hands free to do other things besides holding your dog as your travel.
What to Look for When Buying A Dog Carrier Back Pack
When it comes to finding a dog carrier backpack, you will have no shortage of great options out there.
- Go for comfort- remember that your dog will be in the backpack for an extended duration. You, therefore, need to ensure that the bag offers maximum comfort to the dog.
- Get a backpack that fulfills the task at hand- pay consideration to what the intended use of the backpack is. Will it be used for quick morning jogs, long hikes on the weekends, traveling by train or bus, etc?
- The backpack should offer excellent support- you will carry your dog in the carrier backpack. Therefore, be sure to use a backpack that’s strong, durable, and with impeccable support.
- Consider getting a multipurpose carrier backpack which can be used to carry other pets or even be used as a car booster seat among other things.
- The ideal backpack has a safety harness installed to hook onto the dog’s collar thereby stopping him from escaping or falling out.
- Get a backpack that’s easy to clean
What one pet likes might not work for another. It is therefore crucial that your purchase of a carrier dog backpack is based on the personality of your dog. Some dogs do not like backpacks and will do anything not to get into one; and when you manage to get them into the backpack, they will defiantly try to escape every step of the way.
The Petsfit Comfort Carrier, however, seems to be well-tolerated by a vast majority of dogs. We too think that it is the best overall dog carrier backpack for various reasons:
- It is suitable for your dog. It is well ventilated, very comfortable and spacious. It also provides safety through various mechanisms that secure the dog and stop him from escaping.
- It is good for the person carrying the dog since its straps are padded to reduce discomfort. The straps are also adjustable to offer stability when carrying the backpack
- The design is stylish and beautiful. The materials used to build this backpack are strong and durable. The bag is easy to clean and store. It is also lightweight and waterproof.