Last Updated on
Top 8 Best Dog Crate Beds and Pads
Price on Amazon
Crates are a popular training tool, can be used for travel, and offer your dog a secure place to rest when you aren’t at home. While some people still reject the idea of keeping their dogs in a “cage”, the fact is, dogs feel safe in crates and see them as cozy dens.
The biggest issue with crates is that they are usually made of hard plastic or metal, which isn’t really comfortable to lie on. Just imagine spending a significant part of your day, lying on metal bars. It sounds like real torture! That’s why it is extremely important that you find a comfortable crate bed for your dog.
When it comes to crate pads, there is a lot of options to choose from, but some simply aren’t good enough to provide your dog with the support he needs. Only the best crate beds & pads can provide the much-needed support, relieve joint pain, and keep your dog comfortable each and every day.
To help you find the right dog crate bed for your pooch we decided to review eight great options. Read on to find the crate bed that works for you and your dog!
8 Best Dog Crate Pads Reviewed
The Big Barker Crate Pad’s cover is machine washable and made of waterproof and tear resistant material. Which makes it highly suitable for older incontinent dogs, or pooches who like to dig in their crates.
The thick and comfortable orthopedic pad is a real lifesaver for dogs who suffer from arthritis or are recovering from surgery since it allows them to rest properly. However, it won’t last long if your pooch is an aggressive chewer, so you may need to look for an indestructible crate pad.
- Thick orthopedic foam
- Machine washable cover
- Fits into all standard crates
- The cover is waterproof
- Not for aggressive chewers
- Provides comfort and warmth
- Completely machine washable
- Comes in various sizes
- Corner slips make it fit into all standard crates
- The padding is too thin
- Eco-friendly filling
- Lightweight and portable
- Comes in different sizes and colors
- Plush cover for extra comfort
- Machine washable
- Maybe too thin for some dogs
- The filling becomes lumpy if washed frequently
- Can be used as a pad or stand-alone bed
- Machine washable and dryer safe
- Comes in all sizes
- Fits into standard crates
- Not durable
- Not for aggressive chewers
While this cot-style bed may not look comfortable, it offers the same benefits as orthopedic dog beds. This heavy-duty crate bed is specially designed for aggressive chewers and may be a lifesaver if your pooch already shredded several mat-style beds. It is also available in several different sizes and comes with a 1-year limited warranty.
- The extra strong PVC frame
- Abrasion-resistant Ballistic Nylon
- Great for aggressive chewers
- Comfortable as an orthopedic dog bed
- Has to be assembled
This bed is suitable for large dogs, but it also comes in other sizes, so you won’t have troubles finding the perfect fit for your pooch and his crate. On the downside, this bed isn’t sturdy enough to withstand scratching and chewing, so you might need to consider a different model if your pooch has destructive tendencies.
- Can be used in a crate or as a stand-alone bed
- High-density foam offers orthopedic support
- The rim serves as a neck pillow
- Comes in several sizes
- Not chewproof
- Memory foam filling
- Fits into standard dog crates
- The cover is machine washable and drier safe
- Relieves joint aches and pains
- It isn’t waterproof
- Doesn’t have a slip mat
Due to its mat design and different sizes, this dog bed fits into nearly every crate. It is also lightweight and easy to carry, thus you can take it with you on trips and vacations.
The great thing about this pad is that it is easy to wipe clean, so you don’t have to wash it frequently. As most other crate pads for dogs, this one also isn’t recommended for excessive chewers since it is easily torn to shreds.
- Lightweight and portable
- The plush fabric is very comfortable
- Completely washable
- Fits in nearly all crates
- The mat is very thin
- It tears easily
What to Look for in a Dog Crate Bed?
Choosing a dog crate pad may be a bit easier than shopping for an actual dog bed, but there are certain features you need to consider. Here are a few things to look for:
- Support & Thickness: Although a crate pad is less likely to provide the same support as an orthopedic dog bed, you will notice that the thickness varies a lot from one model to the next. Mats that are only an inch thick can work for younger or healthy dogs, that spend little time in a crate. On the other hand, an older dog with arthritis will appreciate having a padded memory foam mat which will offer proper support.
- Washable: All dog beds are bound to get dirty at some point so it is important to find the one that is easy to clean. Thinner pads can be machine washed, while the beds with foam filling usually only have a washable cover.
- Durability: If your dog likes to chew or dig you need to find a pad that will withstand constant abuse. While indestructible crate pads are rare, you should definitely look for a tear-resistant cover of heavy-duty materials.
- Size: Finding the right size crate pad is of utmost importance. Too small and your dog won’t be able to use the entire crate, too big and the sides will crease and tempt your dog to tear them up.
- Padding Type: Different dog crate pads come with various types of padding. Depending on the type of padding, each mat has different features. Memory foam, for example, offers orthopedic support to dogs with joint issues. But if your dog doesn’t have mobility problems you can easily settle for shredded foam or cotton filling.
Benefits of Using a Dog Crate Bed
Naturally, you don’t want for your dog to feel uncomfortable in his crate, and that is probably the main reason why you decided to research crate pads. Besides providing support crate mats come with a few other benefits:
- Portable: Since most dog crate pads are designed to be lightweight you can easily pack one when you are traveling with your pooch. This way, he can stay comfortable during the ride and have a nice place to sleep when you arrive.
- Relieves Pressure Pains: Spending a couple of hours every day laying on hard plastic or metal wires is bound to make your pooch sore and uncomfortable. A mat will offer proper support and keep your dog’s weight distributed evenly to relieve pressure pains.
- Cooling & Warming Effect: Most crate mats are designed in a way to regulate your dog’s temperature during the whole year. Meaning, it will keep your pooch cool during the summer, and warm him during the winter for ultimate comfort regardless of the season. We wrote a guide on the best cooling dog mats that you can purchase during those hot days.
Finding the best dog crate mat will largely depend on your dog’s age, activity level, and any health problems. Older dogs will appreciate having an orthopedic dog crate mat that will offer proper support and alleviate aches and pains. While young and healthy dogs will also enjoy all the comforts memory foam brings, generally they will be no worse for wear sleeping on the cotton filling for example.
And while that might be the case, the Orthopedic Dog Crate Pad by Big Barker is by far the best crate pad when it comes to comfort and price. It is made of high-quality foam and it fits into all standard dog crates. It also comes with a waterproof and tear-resistant cover which is machine washable and ideal for dogs who like to dig or scratch, and older pooches with bladder control issues.
Obviously, you don’t want to leave your dog in a bare crate while you are off working long hours. Since most crate beds are affordable, there is no reason why your pooch shouldn’t have one. And now that you know what the best dog crate beds & pads are you all set to buy one.