Dogs make a happy and well-guarded home. As a dog owner, you are obliged to reciprocate your pet’s love and provide for his immediate needs.
Ailment in dogs can vary, which includes infestation of fleas and ticks. Fleas, ticks, and mosquito are more than just an annoyance. These bloodsuckers are very stubborn and clingy. Unfortunately, these nutrient-sucking parasites grow and reproduce very fast. If left alone, your dog could acquire tapeworms, heartworm, Lyme disease, or Flea Allergy Dermatitis from these bacteria-transmitting parasites.
Therefore, if you notice your dog scratching almost too often, take up an anti-flea and tick regimen immediately. Although there are over a thousand kinds of fleas and ticks, it only takes one type to bring a lot of misery to your pet. We'll go through the and review the best flea and tick repellents for your dogs ranging from top rated flea collars, flea and tick drops, and spray.
The Top 5 Best Dog Flea and Tick Control Products
Price on Amazon
Which Dog Flea and Tick Control is the Best?
1. Frontline Plus Flea and Tick Control
Millions of consumers are relying on spot-on treatments such as Frontline Plus. Indisputably, Frontline Plus has established a name for itself in the pet industry. Its manufacturer, Merial, have reached a global scale of product distribution and have specialized in vaccines for livestock and domestic animals.
However, guessing on your dog’s weight will only put the product’s reputable brand and efficacy for naught. It is very important that you determine your dog’s accurate weight. Applying treatment for a 60-pound dog to a 10-pound dog can be toxic, or perhaps, fatal. Dog owners should always be cautious and adhere to the medication’s instructions.
This Frontline Plus Flea and Tick Control is known as one of the best flea drops for dogs. Moreover, it features the same two active ingredients Fipronil and S-methoprene. Altogether, these two components make up the efficacy of Frontline Plus in eliminating adult fleas and ticks. In addition, it eliminates eggs and larvae as well as provides a month-long barrier against new fleas and ticks.
The serum works through contact; hence, fleas don’t necessarily have to bite to die. This product is safe for puppies aging from 8 weeks onwards. Likewise, it is safe for pregnant and nursing bitches.
- Provides swift results and long-lasting flea and tick prevention
- Kills all adult fleas and ticks as well as eggs and larvae
- Prevents Lyme disease
- Contains two active ingredients, Fipronil and S-Methoprene that effectively kill adult fleas and its eggs
- Provides waterproof effects so it won’t wash off during swimming or baths
- Contains S-methoprene which eliminates reinfestation
- Single treatment can last for a month
- One of the most expensive solutions
- Some dogs may have the tendency to develop an allergic reaction within the first few days of application
2. Bayer K9 Advantix II Flea & Tick Control Treatment
Bayer K9 Advantix II Flea & Tick Control Treatment can fend off more parasites than Frontline Plus, and that includes mosquitoes, a potential carrier of West Nile virus and heartworm disease.
Bayer K9 Advantix II is a topical treatment that is fast absorbing and easy to apply. This product highlights three active: Imidacloprid, Permethrin, and Pyriproxyfen. Imidacloprid and Permethrin kill ticks, lice, and fleas in all life stages in just a span of 12 hours.
Moreover, Bayer K9 Advantix II repel not just fleas and ticks, but also biting flies and disease-carrying mosquitoes even before they can cling unto your dog’s fur. This process is a sure way to prevent transmitted diseases such as ehrlichiosis, Lyme diseas, etc.
In addition, Bayer K9 Advantix II’s Pyriproxyfen inhibits the development eggs, larvae, and pupa. Each treatment is enough to safeguard your dog from parasites and certain diseases within a month period.
- Repels parasites before they can cling unto your dog’s fur
- Can repel biting flies and mosquitoes that carry heart diseases and West Nile virus
- Kills ticks, fleas, and lice as fast as 12 hours
- Kills all parasites in all life stages
- Single treatment can provide 30 days protection from flea infestation
- Has 3 active ingredients: Imidacloprid, Permethrin, Pyripoxyfen
- Hefty price tag
3. PetArmor Plus for Dogs Flea and Tick
PetArmor Plus’ is a great flea and tick preventative that comes in an easy-to-use squeeze on applicator. Its formula contains the same active ingredient that most expensive products have.
PetArmor Plus’s main ingredient is Fipronil, which spreads out by translocation; progressively spreading by your dog’s natural oils to the oil glands until it is absorbed into the hair and skin. Until then, it eradicates all traces of fleas and ticks within a maximum of 24 hours.
PetArmor Plus is a broad-spectrum treatment as it also kills chewing lice and mites that may cause mange. This product works best especially when your skin dog’s skin is in optimal condition. Moreover, it can be used for puppies that are 8 weeks onwards. Likewise, PetArmor Plus is safe for pregnant and nursing bitches.
If other brands are a little too heavy on your pocket, you might want to consider other PetArmor Plus that works just as good.
- Contains Fipronil which kills fleas and lice
- Kills up to 4 types of ticks including Deer tick that carries Lyme disease
- Kills mites that cause mange
- Safe enough for puppies, pregnant, and nursing bitches
- Provides your dog a 30-day flea and tick protection
- Treated dog must abstain from swimming or bathing for at least 24 hours
- Effectiveness takes more time compared to other brands
- Some dogs may have to endure a slight irritation at the sight of application
4. Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar For Dogs
Bayer’s Seresto Flea and Tick Collar is among the most innovative inventions in the pet industry, as it offers a breakthrough in tick and flea prevention. This collar is specially formulated to kill and repel fleas even without direct contact. This is one of the best flea and tick collar for your dog and puppy.
Its efficacy lies within the two active ingredients embedded within the polymer matrix collar: Imidacloprid and Flumethrin. These compounds are released in small concentrations and are evenly distributed on your dog’s hair and skin.
It is non-greasy, odorless, and very easy to use. Most importantly, it is recommended by vets for its safety and efficacy.
The efficiency of this collar can substitute an eight-month worth of treatments. However, this may not be the best solution if you are looking for an instant eradication of parasites. Compared to spot-on treatments, this product takes two days o eradicate ticks and fleas. From then on, you can expect your dog to be flea and tick free. The flea collar comes in two sizes: up to 18lbs for your small dogs and over 18lbs for your medium, large, or extra large dogs.
Nonetheless, you may combine this type of treatments with other options for a dual-action protection.
- Contains active ingredients Imidacloprid and Flumethrin that kills and repels ticks and fleas
- Non-greasy, odorless, very easy to use
- Can substitute eight monthly spot-on treatments
- Water-resistant collar
- Recommended by veterinarians
- Does not instantly kill parasites
- Collar may cause matting around your dog’s neck
5. Vet's Best Natural Flea and Tick Spray
- Organic and environment-friendly
- Has a delightful scent
- Kills fleas, and ticks
- Safe around children
- Does not stain furniture or clothes
- Needs multiple applications to repel fleas and ticks
- Not as effective as products with chemical ingredients
What to Consider in a Dog Flea and Tick Control Product
Pet Safety Check
Flea and tick control products, particularly spot-on treatments, vary in formulation depending on dog size. It is very important to read labels. Formulations for giant dogs can be fatal for a tiny pooch so be cautious.
Ease of Use
Your enthusiastic Siberian husky might not like the idea of staying put during spot-on applications or perhaps your Jack Russell Terrier is stubborn enough not to take a pill. Things could go out of hand if you assert your preferred method. It would be best to choose an approach that is convenient for you and your dog.
You don’t want to invest your money in an unknown product that has the tendency to cause you bigger problems aside from a flea infestation.
Flea and tick control products are available in several forms such as collars, dips, foggers, pills, soaps, shampoos, and spot-on formulas. Some products only repel fleas and ticks, while some exterminate eggs so that immature forms won’t have the chance to grow and reproduce. There are also products that target full-grown fleas and ticks. Moreover, there are products that are intended to do all three.
Take the time to deliberate among these four objectives before you make a purchase.
Broad Spectrum and Active Ingredient(s)
There are more than a thousand species of fleas and ticks all around the world including the common cat and dog fleas, the Oriental rat fleas, as well as blacklegged ticks, the America dog ticks, the brown dog ticks, and so forth. Fleas and ticks will always suck blood from any animal nearby. Look for a flea and tick control product that is labeled as broad-spectrum to ensure it kills not only one type of flea or tick, but against many species.
Ticks and fleas can make you and your dog sick. It is imperative that you take action as soon as you find evidence of a flea or tick situation. Your dog would scrape and harm himself just to relieve the itch.
However, there is no straightforward answer when it comes to asking which product provides the best solution especially because each product has at least one drawback. If the major downside of the product is its price, remember that the price is not as important compared to the numerous benefits your dog can gain.
You know your dog best, and for you to determine the right product, you must base it on several factors such as your pet’s preferences, his weight, the type of place you live, and so forth. However, even the most expensive treatment is no good without consistency. Consistency is the key to effectiveness; otherwise, you will sabotage even the most expensive flea and tick control regimen. It is wise to set up reminders and keep track of everything.