Last Updated on
Best Dog Food For Goldendoodles
Price on Amazon
Your Goldendoodle has the best traits from a poodle and golden retriever. In addition to being easy to train, very intelligent and exceptionally family-friendly, a Goldendoodle can live for as many as 15 years. You, however, can only bring out the very best qualities of your buddy, the Goldendoodle, by ensuring good health through excellent care and proper feeding.
Your lovely Goldendoodle falls into the category of the newer mixed breed dogs. They also tend to be a relatively high-energy dog variety. This means that their nutritional needs are somewhat different from most other dogs.
A Goldendoodle owner must, therefore, make an effort to find the best dog food for Goldendoodles. Do not fret though, we’ve got you covered on this one, and we’ll show you exactly what your dog needs to become strong, healthy, and downright beautiful.
1. Wellness CORE Natural Grain-Free Dry Dog Food - #1 Dog Food For Goldendoodles
- The ingredients contained are nutrient-rich and of premium quality
- It is both gluten-free and grain-free
- It has no corn, soy, wheat or any unhealthy meat by-products
- No artificial flavoring, additives or preservatives are used
- Dogs love it, and it has been found to increase a dog’s appetite remarkably
- It is a great meal even for sensitive and allergic dogs
- The food is fortified with minerals, vitamins, probiotics, and antioxidants. For instance, it has flax and fish omega as well as DHA, phosphorous and calcium.
- Small sized options are available for puppies
- Some dogs might be allergic to some of the ingredients especially the poultry
- It costs more than other traditional dog foods.
- Most dogs love this food because of its lamb flavor
- It doesn’t contain artificial colors, additives or preservatives
- It’s low on carbs
- The ingredients used are easily digestible
- All ingredients used are nutritious and safe for Goldendoodles
- The high-fat content may lead to unwanted weight gain and other health issues if very high quantities are frequently fed to the dog.
- Some ingredients may cause allergies in unusually sensitive dogs
- The treats are durable and chewy. They compel the dog to chew them instead of just swallowing the treat whole.
- They are tasty and dogs absolutely love them
- Just as they are delicious, these treats can be a very satisfying snack for a Goldendoodle especially after the main meal.
- They are made from highly nutritious, grain-free ingredients
- The treats might be too big for puppies and miniature Goldendoodles
- Some components might cause hypersensitivity and allergic reactions in some dogs
- The caramel color of the treats is derived from caramel which, in spite of being 100% natural, is rather unnecessary given that our 4-pawed friends do not really care much for the color of their treats.
- The natural ingredients used are easily digestible so as to protect your dog from common digestive problems.
- The salmon and ocean fish meal ingredients give the food a wild taste that increases a dog’s appetite significantly.
- The ingredients used are natural and hypoallergenic. It is thus recommended for Goldendoodles with sensitive stomachs.
- The ingredients used are good growth enhancers, they help puppies grow and can be used for dogs that need to add weight.
- The food is on the pricey side of dog foods
- Some dogs may develop allergies to some of the ingredients
- This food naturally provides all the nutrients that you Goldendoodle needs to lead a healthy life
- It has a higher carb than most other foods (above 20%) making it ideal for very active golden doodles
- It is prepared based on a whole prey model making it biologically appropriate for Goldendoodles.
- Orijen foods may be pricier than most traditional dog foods
- Some dogs might be allergic to some ingredients.
When the Golden Retriever and standard poodle were first bred in the 90’s, they gave birth to a new breed of dogs that had a fluffy, beautiful coat. The new breed was uniquely hypoallergic to numerous agents that cause allergies in dogs. In addition to its alluring appeal, the dog’s coat also had low shedding properties. This breed was none other than the Goldendoodle.
The physical properties mentioned above are complemented further by an amiable personality. The Goldendoodle has an immense love for humans and makes an excellent personal companion and family pet.
There are 3 types of Goldendoodles based on their size.
- The Standard Goldendoodle is the largest and by far the most common. It weighs between 45 and over 100 pounds.
- The Medium Goldendoodle weighs 30-45 pounds
- The Miniature Goldendoodle is the smallest type and weighs 15-30 pounds
Goldendoodle Dog Breed Overview
Golden Retriever and Poodle
Moderate to High
Goldendoodle Feeding Basics - Puppy, Adult, and Senior
It is ill-advised to wean a Goldendoodle pup before its 7 weeks old. At 7 weeks of age, the puppy should begin to be introduced to human experiences. This should include complementing the mother’s milk with dog food. The puppy shouldn’t necessarily be taken away from its litter during this time.
At 8 weeks, Goldendoodle puppies are about 6 pounds heavy and require an average of 280 calories every day. Their caloric requirements will then increase dramatically during the growth period that follows. In general, your puppy will need almost as many calories as an adult Goldendoodle. This is because the puppies are usually very active and still need a lot of energy for their rapidly growing bodies.
Puppy food is available for Goldendoodle puppies, but you can still feed them food for adult dogs. All the same, it’s recommended that adult food is introduced to the puppies when they are at least a year old.
Fully grown Goldendoodles require a daily average of around 1212 calories. The absolute daily requirement will be influenced by your dog’s size, health and overall level of activity. Nonetheless, the best diets for Goldendoodle are protein-rich with high-fat content to provide the extra energy that these dogs need. You can use an automatic dog feeder to feed your Goldendoodle the best dog food for Goldendoodles when you are away from work.
Benefits of The Best High Quality Dog Food For Your Dog
A balanced diet that is optimized for Goldendoodles plays a central role in the health and happiness of your pup. Some of the benefits of getting good food for your dog include:
- Reduced Digestive Ailments- bad food will give your Goldendoodle, gas, bloating, diarrhea and may even cause them to vomit. This is because Goldendoodle is a breed of dogs that have a relatively sensitive digestive system. You must, therefore, feed your dog the right food to avoid such illnesses.
- Improved Immunity- dogs, just like humans may fall sick if their diet isn’t nutritionally complete. By feeding your Goldendoodle good quality food, you will be strengthening its immunity thereby making your dog more resilient to common dog ailments.
- Increased Beauty and Cuteness- good food gives your dog good-looking, shinier fur. It also reduces the risk of skin infections and dog allergies that may cause fur loss. A dog that is well-fed will look adorable even with minimal grooming.
- Improved Quality of Life and Lifespan- by upholding a healthy lifestyle and proper feeding practices for your Goldendoodle, you will ensure that your beloved pup lives a long, happy and fulfilling dog life.
What To Look For in Dog Food for Goldendoodles
The best dog food for Goldendoodles should be a formula that offers a rich source of protein and fat. Goldendoodles also need a broad spectrum of nutrients, vitamins, and antioxidants. The food should, however, contain a very limited amount of filler ingredients to avoid bloating.
Most veterinary associations recommend that Goldendoodle diets should contain:
- 2 Or 3 Meat Proteins, e.g. beef, fish, lamb, and chicken as well as concentrated meat meals
- Plant Proteins from such foods as peas and lentils. Ideally, animal proteins should constitute a large percentage of the dog food, but plant proteins should also be incorporated to ease the digestion of food.
- Healthy Fats including chicken fat, flax seed oil, and canola oil among others
- Omega Fatty Acids especially omega 3 and 6 to give your pup a healthy skin and coat
- DHA Fatty Acids for excellent brain and eye growth and development
- Low Carb Content to keep a Goldendoodle’s blood sugars in control. Consequently, low-glycemic carbohydrates such as sweet potatoes are recommended
- Alternative Grains, e.g. barley and oats
- Calcium and Phosphorus to prevent diverse orthopedic disorders such as painful bones in your dog. The ideal calcium to phosphorus ration in Goldendoodle foods is 1.2:1
Avoid foods that contain:
- Artificial flavors, sweeteners, colors, and preservatives
- Foods to which your dog is allergic
- Over-concentration of certain nutrients
Final Notes on Best Dog Food For Goldendoodle
When transitioning your Goldendoodle to a new diet or food, do so gradually. This will give you time to monitor how your dog reacts to the new food. It will also help identify potential allergies. We highly recommend the Wellness CORE Natural Grain-Free Dry Dog Food as the best dog food for Goldendoodles.
In addition to providing high-quality food, do not forget that the foundation to complete dog wellness lies in providing good food, clean water, adequate exercise and regular veterinarian checkup.