Last Updated on
5 Best Dog Food For Labradoodles
Price on Amazon
Labradoodles have become widely popular due to their exotic looks, and as “designer” dogs, there is a huge demand for these cute and furry friends. For those who are not sure what Labradoodles are, this canine breed is a cross between a Labrador retriever and a poodle. Knowing the characteristics of the Labrador retriever as a highly energetic hunter and the poodle as a mid-level energy smarty-pants, you are sure that the Labradoodle, which is a mixture of both, will bring with it all the energy, intelligence, and attention-loving personalities of the parent breeds.
Feeding your dog properly transcends just providing adequate number of servings per day. There is a need to ensure that your Labradoodle is getting the right amount of nutrients to keep them looking healthy and happy. Yes, dogs can be unselective of what they eat, everything goes down the hatch! However, every dog comes with special nutritional needs in order to maintain the ideal size, weight, and energy level for their breed, as well as to help build immunity to certain health conditions especially at critical ages such as very young pups and the aged Labradoodles. So what is the best dog food for your Labradoodle?
1. Merrick Grain Free Dry Dog Food Real Duck & Sweet Potato
- Meals come in different flavors to give your dog a variety
- it is highly nutritious and boosts the immune system
- it contains DHA for brain development and natural preservatives
- chondroitin and glucosamine is healthy for your dog’s bones
- Ensure that your dog isn’t allergic to potatoes. In such conditions, check for other food options.
2. CANIDAE Grain Free PURE Dry Dog Food
- contains premium ingredients such as real animal protein
- natural additives and no fillers
- easily digestible content with the absence of grain products
- high nutritional values which meets the AAFCO standards for dog feed
- best for dog varieties
- contains macro and micronutrients for health and immune system boost
- a bit on the expensive side
- does not contain Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate which is highly beneficial
3. Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Original Turkey & Chicken
- It comes with maximum health benefits and mitigates allergies in dogs
- It is rich in protein and fatty acids which is essential for growth and development.
- All natural preservatives, no artificial additives
- Easy digestion; no-gluten, no-grain
- It is expensive
- Some dogs are allergic to poultry products; ensure that it’s suitable for your dog or check for other options.
4. Purina Beneful Originals
- very affordable
- Provides a healthy combination for your dog, with a wide variety of essential macro and micronutrients such as protein, carbohydrates, vitamin K & E, fats and oil, and mineral salts.
- It comes in a wide variety of flavors and ingredients to give your dog great choices and best tastes.
The main down side to Purina Beneful is the controversy surrounding the composition. There have been claims that the diet may not be ideal for dogs due to the presence of menadione which can cause liver problems, allergies, and death from excessive breakdown of red blood cells. Other components are mycotoxin and propylene glycol; these are known to be toxic.
5. Best Dog Food For Labradoodle Puppies: Natural Balance Whole Body Health Dry Puppy Formula
- Natural Balance is available in a wide variety of ingredients, flavors, and formulas, providing an array of delectable choices for your dog
- it meets the standards of the AAFCO and is highly recommended for its nutritional values
What to look for in good Labradoodle dog foods
The health of your Labradoodle depends largely on a number of factors such as exercise, and hygiene with nutrition at the top of the list. Labradoodles have special nutritional needs owing to their huge appetite mainly caused by their high metabolism. These playful, fairly huge dogs can work up quite an appetite on an average day and their exposure to certain health conditions at various stages in their lives makes the quality of feeding very important. Help older dogs or arthritic dogs with neck issues by using a raised dog food bowl.Here are a few food components to look out for when looking to buy the best dog food for your Labradoodle.
Most dogs often present with gastrointestinal tract problems as they grow older and this leads to poor digestion. When these conditions occur it becomes difficult for the dog to digest meals effectively leading to being overweight and lots of other health issues. A proper dog meal should be free of grains, gluten and other food elements that may be difficult to digest. The presence of a probiotic would ensure that digestibility is greatly improved as well as immunity to certain infections and diseases.
The amount of calories that your Labradoodle requires daily is largely dependent on lifestyle. Some dogs are more active than others. The level of activity of hybrids also depends on the character and personalities of the parent breed.
The required calorie intake also depends on the weight of your dog, this is to ensure that your dog does not become overweight and begin to develop joint issues due to the excess weight. A Labradoodle weighing 60 pounds may be fed an average of 1313kcal meal per day. Keep the feeding area clean with a waterproof dog feeding mat.
A young, hyperactive, and virile Labradoodle that leads an active life style may require a bit more fuel to get by, in this case a 2088 kcal per day can suffice, and however, older dogs that engage in less physical activities may thrive better with fewer calories in their meals in order to keep body mass in check.
Macro and Micronutrients
Labradoodles are a very sensitive breed of designer dogs and require a balanced nutrition comprising of all the necessary macro and micronutrients. Protein is a most necessary meal component as well as fatty acids to ensure the healthy development of their skin and fur coat. Adequate levels of vitamins and minerals act as antioxidants in the system to boost your dog’s immunity against certain illnesses and diseases that may be peculiar to the breed. Sufficient levels of nutrients such as glucosamine and chondroitin are most essential to mitigate hips and joint related diseases that may occur at a later stage in the life of the hybrid.
You might be interested in getting the best automatic dog feeder to ensure your dog gets all the nutrients while you are away.
The Labradoodle breed
Labradoodles are easy to spot with their distinctive curly coat and their free-spirited hyperactivity. They are a mix between Labrador retrievers and poodles. The designer breed is a perfect family dog, though categorized as high maintenance due to its abundance of fur which sheds seasonally, needing lots of grooming and trimming quite often which make some sense to buy a dog grooming table to take care of it at home. Labradoodles can weigh 15 to 100 pounds with a varying size between 14 to 24 inches. This high energy hybrid has an average lifespan of 10-15 years depending on genetics, lifestyle, hygiene, nutrition and other conditions.
Labradoodles make great home pets and are recommended for kids of all ages due to its friendly and playful personality. The hybrid is often vulnerable to allergies from sensitivity to various food types. Grains are an ultimate cause of allergies in labradoodles, grains such as corn, soy, wheat and the likes are a no-no. In the event of a food related allergy you can change your dog’s diet to strictly limited ingredient and diets rich in animal fats.
Conclusion - Best Food
There are many brands of dog food in the market, that are quite suitable for Labradoodles and absolutely nutritious however, if you are considering taking on one particular brand and making it your personal favorite we would recommend the Merrick Grain Free Real Duck Sweet Potato Recipe as this dog food brand is masterfully made, 100% nutritional value, best digestibility, improves your dogs health and keeps allergies at a distance.
Quality nutrition plays a key role in the life and health of a dog and Labradoodles, being case sensitive in terms of food selectiveness require specific elements in their daily feeding in order to maintain optimum health conditions.