Feeding your dog the best high fiber dog food is a sure way to keep him bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. Unlike cheaper diets, quality dog food does not consist of indigestible bulking elements that only makes your dog less healthy and demands more frequent poop-scooping. Similar to us, dogs who lack enough fiber in their diets are prone to many health problems including obesity, irregular bowel movements, constipation, gas problems, etc. Love them as we do, nobody enjoys the company of a flatulent dog!It’s general knowledge that dogs are omnivorous, enjoying both meat and vegetables. You may have noticed how dogs may occasionally graze on grass to acquire additional fiber lacking from their diet. However, that won’t suffice and surely you cannot order a dog to eat a bowl of salad. The best way for Doggo to have his daily dose of fiber is by feeding him the best high fiber dog food.
Top 6 Best High Fiber Dog Food
Price on Amazon
Benefits of High Fiber Dog Food
Promotes Proper Digestion
There are two kinds of fiber: soluble and insoluble. Insoluble fiber draws water into the intestine to prevent constipation, creating softer, larger stools that stimulate intestinal function. Likewise, it prevents diarrhea by absorbing excess water from within the intestine.
In addition, a high fiber diet reduces your dog’s risk of acquiring colon cancer. It speeds up the process of elimination; thus, preventing carcinogens and other toxins from doing damage to your dog’s intestinal tract. Also, fermented soluble fiber creates a short-chain fatty acid as a by-product that fuel cells to repair the walls of the intestine.
Aids in Healthy Weight Loss / Weight Management
Fiber is a major element when it comes to proper weight management. Feeding your dog a fiber-rich dog food, which also contains plenty of protein and complex carbohydrates, ensures that he is well nourished and satiated without the unnecessary calories. Fiber makes your dog feel full fast and delays the stomach to empty.
Prevents Canine DiabetesFiber has similar effects in dogs as with humans: it allows your dog’s sugar levels to maintain within normal range. If your dog already has canine diabetes, it is vital that he follows a high fiber diet without fail.
What to Look For
- High Protein Content – Our canine companions are healthiest when they have a regular diet consisting a variety of fruits, vegetables, and meat. Dogs are not obligate carnivores but the bulk of their diet should come from protein sources. Protein from meat helps build strong, lean muscles. If your dog is allergic to poultry, you may opt for beef or fish.
- No Artificial Ingredients – High-quality dog food taste good even without artificial enhancers. Unless you opt for cheaper alternatives, artificial flavors or colors are completely unnecessary. While these ingredients aren’t exactly harmful, they may trigger allergies.
- Fortified with Antioxidants, Vitamins, and Minerals – Most high fiber dog food brands not only use protein and complex carbohydrates, but also health-enhancing nutrients such as Omega-fatty acids that promote brain and heart function, a shiny coat and healthy skin; antioxidants that boost the immune system; and vitamins and minerals that provide a number of health benefits ranging from sharp eyesight to reduced inflammation
6 Best High Fiber Dog Foods
Likewise, the Blue Buffalo Wilderness adult dog food contains a variety of fruits and vegetables to help promote your dog’s gut integrity with its high fiber content and antioxidant enrichment. Made without grains, its carbohydrate content is derived from sweet potatoes and peas. Also, this product does not contain artificial colors or flavors.As you can see, the Blue Buffalo Wilderness adult dog food is specially crafted with a precise blend of nutrients to boost your dog’s immune system, life stage requirements, and promote his overall health and well-being. Proteins and complex carbohydrates make sure he has a lot of energy to run and play, while antioxidants and essential vitamins keeps sicknesses at bay.
- Contains calcium and phosphorus to promote bone health
- Contains Glucosamine for joint function
- Contains Omega-fatty acids essential for heart health
- Grain-free; complex carbohydrates from gluten-free sources
- High-antioxidant content to boost immune system
- High-fiber content from plant sources
- Rich in protein; contains more protein than other Blue Buffalo products
- No artificial flavors or colors
- Smaller dogs may find difficulty chewing larger bits of kibble
Worry not if you have a picky eater! Its recipe includes roasted bison, venison, beef, lamb, chicken and ocean fish meal, all of which makes it incredibly satisfying and nutritious. What is more, it contains garbanzo beans and peas: fiber-rich legumes that also contain carbohydrates and protein. This product is grain-free, making it ideal for the sensitive fur-buddies prone to allergies and GI issues. The Taste of the Wild Grain-Free High Prairie Natural is also fortified with vitamins and minerals to strengthen his defense against common illnesses.
- Grain-free and prebiotic blend
- Recipe includes a long list of delicious meats
- Rich in fiber for easy digestion and protein for strong, lean muscles
- Contains powerful antioxidants that promote immune system
- Fortified with vitamins and minerals
- May cause gas due to its very high fiber content
Formulated without gluten or grain, the Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch Grain-Free is an excellent diet for dogs with sensitive tummies. It is also ideal for obese dogs since it contains L-Carnitine that burns fat.
- L-Carnitine helps burn fat and converts it to energy
- Recipe includes herring meal, salmon meal, and whitefish meal
- Rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids
- Gluten-free and grain-free
- Fiber-rich dog food
- Contains antioxidants that boost immune system
- Strong fish smell
In addition, the main ingredients are complemented by apples, sweet potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, ground barley and ground flaxseed. Diabetic pets would definitely benefit from barley’s nutritional makeup and soluble fiber, ß-glucan. Most importantly, this product does not contain soy, wheat, or corn that regular dog food brands use as fillers. With its tasty flavor and nutritional value, the Wellness Complete Healthy Weight dry dog food will surely satiate your dog’s hunger and palate while supporting healthy weight management.
- Reduced calorie diet
- Satisfies hunger while promoting weight loss
- Delicious blend of chicken, fruits, and vegetables
- Most beneficial for diabetic and obese dogs
- High in fiber, vitamins A, and C
- Contains Yucca Schidigera extract that help minimize odor in stool
- Small dogs may find difficulty chewing big kibble pieces
In addition, this dog food contains the right balance of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids that promote healthy skin and coat; DNA for cognitive development; and antioxidants to boost your puppy’s first line of defense against common illnesses. Following the AFFCO standards, the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rich Protein Grain-Free Puppy dog food is complete and balanced. It is also highly digestible since it is rich in fiber.
- Small-sized kibbles for tiny teeth and small jaws
- Fortified with DHA
- High-quality protein from real meat
- Supplemented with fiber-rich foods
- Rich in vitamins and minerals
- No artificial flavors or colors
- Gluten and grain-free
- Overfeeding may cause loose stools or diarrhea in some pups
The Natural Balance Limited-Ingredient Dry dog food also contain omega-fatty acids to keep your dog’s skin healthy and his coat shiny. Most importantly, this product does not contain preservatives, artificial flavors or color so you can rest assured that your beloved dog stays healthy as he can be.
- Complete and balanced
- Delicious and nutritious
- Rich in Omega-fatty acids and key minerals
- Suitable for dogs of all ages
- Contains less protein compared to other brands
When it comes to dining, fiber is essential. Hence, switching from cheap commercially-made dog food to a high-quality dog food would be best. High-fiber dog food is the loving solution for diabetic pets and porky pooches. Such are specifically designed highly digestible, which makes it suitable even for the most GI-sensitive pets. If you’re still reluctant, at least try feeding your dog a high fiber diet for two months and judge the difference for yourself. You may want to start with one of the six best high fiber dog foods listed in this article. Although fiber is essential for your dog’s health, take note that too much can also cause problems so it’s important that you monitor your dog’s daily consumption as well.